Following lobbying by Brixton Hill councillors, a number of new street trees are to be located around the area a part of a Lambeth-wide programme. Whilst contributing to create a more attractive environment for all, the planting will also improve the overall environmental quality, (including air quality and noise reduction), of our neighbourhood.
Subject to final ground scan surveys the locations chosen are:
- Baytree Road (several including Ginkgo and Juneberry trees, sadly no Baytrees)
- Lyham Road (a number of ornamental pear trees)
- Sudbourne Road (nine new trees including oak, Prunus and field maple)
- Trent Road (four to include a crabapple)
Treeplanting is starting this month and will continue through to April. Residents in roads affected are currently being written to to let them know about the project.
The borough-wide planting programme will be funded by the Transport for London LIP and GLA grants.
A planning application has been submitted for the site currently home to Diamond Merchants, the hardware and tool hire company on Acre Lane on the corner with Baytree Road.
The plans involve ‘Demolition of buildings and erection of a part 2, part 4. part 5 and part 6-storey building plus basement to provide 610sqm of retail space (A1 Use Class), 25 flats and 2 family houses together with associated cycle and waste storage and hard and soft landscaping to form communal amenity space.’
The site neighbours the planned extension of Sudbourne School and faces the Trinity conservation area. Councillors are concerned that no affordable homes are included in the plans and will be objecting on this basis.
Residents can make comments here
Due to popular demand, new bike hangars are to be installed in various locations across the Brixton Hill ward. The bike hangars are operated by Cyclehoop and allow residents to rent a secure and dry space for their bicycle.
Hangars are to be installed at the following locations:
- Baytree Road (by Effra Court)
- Beverstone Road – one outside No. 11 and another outside Nos. 10/12
- Branksome Road – one outside 15/17 and another outside No. 88
- Lambert Road – one outside No. 36, another by No. 45 and another outside No. 55
- Lyham Road – outside Nos. 7/8 Clapham Park Terrace, and outside Nos. 13/14 Clapham Park Terrace
- Mandrell Road – to the side of 110 Strathleven Road
- Strathleven Road – outside No. 40, another outside No. 56, and another outside Nos. 69/71
Once the hangars are installed residents will be able to rent a space via the cyclehoops.rentals website. Continue reading